Today I joined the Crazy Cooking Challenge sponsored by Moms Crazing Cooking. The challenge is for you to pick a recipe from “Blog Land” (any recipe you’d like but MUST be from another blog, not from a celebrity chef like Pioneer Woman, Rachel Ray or Taste of Home, etc), it will be a SPECIFIC recipe, bake it & blog about it. Today’s recipe challenge was blueberry muffins. It can be any kind of muffin as long as it had blueberries in it.
I searched high and low on my favorite sites and either I found muffins that had way to much sugar in them or I couldn’t find any recipes at all. I thought that was kind of strange. This was a hard challenge and I thought it would be easy. So I went to one of my favorite blogs The Cafe Sucre Farine. I found a rustic looking Triple Berry Muffin with Lemon Glaze. Mmmmm, glaze… I thought would be a perfect fit! I love mixed berries in a muffin and the glaze on top was a perfect compliment to the muffin.
These muffins remind me of the kind grandma would make. There a little heavy of a muffin, but soft in the center and it holds up perfect with the glaze without getting soggy. I even froze the muffins with the glaze on them so my Husband can take them to work and he said they tasted like I just baked them! Oddly enough I have found glaze to be freezer friendly. I’ve frozen biscotti with glaze and even re-heated them in the oven and they turned out perfect, and tasted fresh.
- Serves: 12 Muffins
- Serving size: 1 Muffin
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour (I used ½ WW pastry flour & ½ AP Flour)
- ½ teaspoon soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk (I used non-fat milk)
- ½ cup sour cream (I used greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries, broken up
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove frozen berries from freezer. With fingers break up the raspberries and blackberries into small frozen pieces onto a small plate. If they are frozen too hard to crush let them sit out for a minute or two but do not let them unthaw! Crush while frozen. (I like to run my fingers under warm water if they get too cold while crushing the berries.) Do not break apart blueberries, leave them frozen and intact. Return berries on plate to freezer while preparing batter.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin generously with cooking spray.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy with electric mixer.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Combine milk and sour cream and set aside.
- Stir together dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to buttter mixture, beating with each addition until barely combined.
- Gently fold in frozen berries.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin pan, dividing between the 12 cups. Don't worry if your muffin cups seem quite full. These muffins will rise up and not "out" like some muffin batters do.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes until springy when gently touched on top. Remove from oven allow muffins to cool slightly, about 2 minutes, before removing from pan to cooling rack.
- Allow to cool on rack for 10 minutes then drizzle muffins with lemon glaze*.
- Enjoy! - and expect rave reviews!!
- * For lemon glaze, mix the lemon juice with the powdered sugar until smooth. If too thick to drizzle, add a bit more lemon juice.
I had such a nice day off on Friday that it put me in a really generous mood! First let me tell you, the sun was shining, I got to sample chocolates, went to Trader Joe’s and they had my Frozen Yogurt back in stock (that made my day), got a check from the dentist saying I over paid (crazy huh) and with all that excitement, I decided to pick something up for you. Yup, a giveaway is coming soon and it’s a good one, at least I think so!! But you’ll just have to wait, so check back. The giveaway will be either Sunday or Monday. This is one you won’t want to miss.
I hope you all have a great day, I know I will!! Happy Saturday my friends, now go out there and enjoy it!!