Happy Good Friday to you!! Today I have off from work! Woohoo! Hmmm what to do with my day? I do know I’ll be munching on today’s recipe.
Trader Joe’s has a wonderful Jalapeno Cilantro Hummus that I just love, but they changed the calories on it from 45 calories for two tablespoons to 80, and that is way to much for me, since two tablespoons is not very much! So I took their ingredients and made one of my own, which I think turned out perfect! Mine is 28 calories for two tablespoons and has all the flavor of Trader Joe’s, but way fewer calories.
I didn’t add Tahini paste or olive oil and it’s creamy, smooth and spicy, all the components in which I think makes a good hummus. The key to making your humus smooth, is peeling the garbanzo beans. All you do is grab the bean and pinch it like you were shooting marbles; than the skin comes right off. I gotten so good at peeling them, that it takes me no time to do one can, but I will admit it’s a pain in the butt to do, but well worth it in the end. It’s as creamy as whipped mashed potatoes.
I took this hummus to work and got rave reviews. Matter in fact one of my co-workers wanted the recipe so he could make it for his wife, how sweet is that? This hummus is really easy to make and not many ingredients. It’s made with garbanzo beans, jalapeno,cilantro, garlic and cumin. I processed it in my mini food processor, no big ones needed.
- 1 15.5oz can of low sodium Garbanzo Beans (reserve the juice from the can)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño, seeded (be careful not to touch it and wash your hands after)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon or 2 tbsp of juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a food processor add garlic and jalapeno and process until diced up. Add remaining ingredients and blend until all mixed well and a smooth consistency. Add 1 tablespoon of reserved juice at a time if it's hard to mix. I used about 1/4 cup of juice.
- You may need to add salt & pepper to your tasting.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Calories per two tablespoons: 28.5, Fat: .03, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 36, Potassium: 6.5, Carbs: 5, Fiber: 1.5, Sugar: .03, Protein; 1.5
Well my friends, I worked a pinch late today, so my schedule is messed up, and Hubby is in the garage working, so it’s time for me to squeeze in 20 minutes of kickboxing before he comes out to watch TV.
Have a wonderful day and a super great “Good Friday”!!